The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Behold The Stupid!

As a special treat and personal favor to me, Pandora has written a guest rant. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the rant-a-licious vibes from one of my favorite meddling kids from across the sea in Grand ole England.

I'm on the front-line at work. Often the first person a visitor sees or speaks to is me. As such I see a lot of the stupid. And so many times its the same brand of stupid.

Some days it's all I can do not to scream a stream of sarcastic British invective back at them.

Case in point - The No Clue Brigade

Customer - Hi. I'm here for a meeting.
Me - Hello. Who are you here to see?
Customer - Dunno
Me - OK. What is the interview about?
Customer - Dunno. Some course
(Dream me - Oh that's good. We only run THIRTEEN DIFFERENT FUCKING COURSES HERE! Shall I presume you're here for the Basic Skills for Fuckwits course?)
Real me - Do you have the letter we sent you?
Customer - Didn't get a letter
(Dream me - Yes you fucking did! I wrote it, signed it and posted it you lying fuck!)
Me - Right... Can I take your name then?
Customer - mumble mumble
Me - *phones around all the department heads until someone has heard of him*
Me - Miss X will see you shortly. Please take a seat
Customer - That's the name! Miss X!
(Dream me - SHO-RYU-KEN! Pandora Wins! Fatality!)

And that's when they are even in the right place

Customer - Hi. I'm here to see Mr Z
Me - I'm sorry, we don't have a Mr Z. Are you sure that was the right name?
Customer - I think so. Mr Z at Made-up College.
(Dream me - Does the sign on the door say Made-up College? Does it? No! It says *Company Name* you fuckwit!)
Real me - I think you are at the wrong place. We are *Company Name*
Customer - Oh! Where is Made-up college then?
(Dream me - Tell you what, I'll just stop the incredibly important job I'm doing to run a Googlemaps search for you yeah?)
Me - *Gives directions. Which isn't easy, as we are nowhere near it*
Customer - Oh. Thanks.

Timesheets are another personal favourite of mine. Or rather, the angry parent of a student about timesheets. It usually goes like this.

Angry Parent - My daughter hasn't been paid for 5 weeks!
(Dream me - Boo-hoo)
Real me - Ok. What is her n....
Angry Parent - What are you going to do about it?
Real me - *deep breath* What is her name?
Angry Parent - Ann Nonymous
Me - Lets check the computer system
*looks at the database*
Me - Hmmm. yes you're right. Has Ann handed in her timesheets?
Angry Parent - Yes!
Me - OK. Let me look in the pending tray
*Finds five weeks of timesheets with a received date stamp of yesterday*
Me - Your daughter only handed in the last five weeks timesheets on Thursday. Yesterday.
Angry Parent - So. Why weren't they paid?
Me - Payroll is run on Wednesdays.
Angry Parent - *silence as the gears click into place*
Me - *waits pateintly*
Embarrassed Parent - She didn't tell me that part... sorry...
(Dream me - And so you fucking should be you obnoxious arse!)
Real me - That's OK. Thanks for your call.

This is closely related to:

Customer - Why haven't I been paid?
Me - Lets check *spends ten minutes consulting both payroll computer systems* This says we authorised your payment on Monday this week.
Customer - So why haven't I been paid?
Me - Your money should arrive on a Thursday. That's today.
Customer - But it wasn't in my bank when I checked at 8:30am
(Dream me - Because the bank wasn't open then. You get paid ON Thursday. IT IS STILL THURSDAY YOU FUCKING MORON!)
Real me - It's still Thursday
Customer - Huh?
Me - You get paid some time on Thursday. Today is still Thursday. It isn't over yet. You will get paid when the bank processes it later today.
Customer - Oh!

... and relax.

You know, having a rant *is* very theraputic. Love and Peace people :)

4 comments:

Ms.LizzyBeth said...

Thanks for the treat and showing that stupidity knows no borders. You could virtually fill-in-the-blank and apply it everywhere. Although I hate to sound like a tree hugger, you gave us a universal message we should all heed and beware of. Thanks again :)

Stace said...

I used to have to deal with customers like that in a couple of jobs I had.

One was at Tesco (supermarket), and the way people treated you there was abismal. One woman came in once and just yelled 'Milk' at me. (Dream me) Yes white stuff, comes from cows - what about it?

The other is in my professional job - whenever a support call comes in the user is lying (I believe that House has it right when he says everybody lies). After 10 mins of questioning they may actually start telling you what they did to break the software.

Great rant :)

Stace

Leslie Ann said...

Very smart, Lizzy. All the ranting we've come to expect with no effort on your part. You get points for efficiency. Any idea where I can pick up some cheap whine for my blog?

Calie said...

So two half deamoness's makes one normal girl?