The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Policy

Yet another bitchy blog about my job. Ouch!

This is my new explanation to customers who try to demand that I give them credits on their bill when it is not justified, or when they try to get even more out of me. This is the scenario: "I understand that you would enjoy getting some extra money, but think of it like this. I work for you and am here to help out, but it is similar to being a school teacher. A teacher works for the students but is underneath the school's policies and guidelines. So just because a student may have messed something up on a test, they cannot demand that the teacher gives them a better grade simply because that is what they want even though the teacher could alter the records from a technical standpoint. That hurts everyone, including the student and can cost the teacher her job. If I handed out credit to everyone it would not only cost me my job but it also hurts all the customers by increasing the prices for everyone, including them."

(Afterthoughts)
Of course there are sketchy yet valid points to that but hopefully customers will get the point that I'm not a fraking ATM.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

tell them you could give them the credit but it would use up the last of their 'Good Karma', then from now on all their luck will be bad. equivalent exchange.

alan said...

I don't want to hold my breath while you wait for them to admit you are right...

alan