The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Unfortunately serious

I'm slowly becoming convinced that the death of my job is gonna come with me bitching back at a customer for their blatant stupidity and overwhelming rudeness. Generally those human qualities don't bother me more than anything else about you weird human worm babies, but that has always counter-depended upon me being able to slide in sarcastic jabs and bitchiness back at them. Sadly, a demure and polite attitude must be held at all times on the phone which is a terrible disappointment to me personally. And not to highlight my 3 worst calls of yesterday which freakishly came close to throwing me into tears at a few points (mainly because of me being unable to release any of my anger and frustration).

1) Topic: international calls. Time: 1 1/2+ hrs.
Canada is a different country than the U.S. Even if you had poor schooling, that is an easy concept to grasp that my nephew who isn't even in school yet completely understands. If you call out of the country, you get charged a flat rate per minute for doing so, and even if you have an international plan on your line, you still get charged a flat rate albeit a much lower one. If you don't want to be charged for doing that, don't make those calls after you have been warned that it will cost you to do so, on multiple occasions, and even gotten most of it credited back to you for pretending that you didn't realize it cost money. Simple! Except when you find a loophole which allows you to think you can fleece the system and the fact that you speak to a different person each time you call. Unfortunately he did not get the "free money reimbursement" for his valid charges for international calls because he annoyed me right off the bat by making demands that I credit him back for calls he made and that he didn't have much time to waste with a girl over the phone. It basically went with him lying to me about what he had been told and me looking up notes from other reps he had dealt with showing he had been told about the charges he was getting on multiple occasions. He got angrier and somehow even ruder the more I validated that his calls were valid charges he knowingly made, at one point even pointing out that a number he claimed he had never called and did not know who that was and had only returned their call to him (which only showed an outgoing call with no incoming calls from that number) I managed to find 6 other calls he had made to that number totally up 77 minutes of talk time. So I asked if that was not someone he knew, why did he make several calls to it that month and talk to someone he did not know for an hour and a half? No answer on that one but he did start ranting about a different topic which slowly happened again and again as he continued to grasp at straws only to return to how he is going to be credited for his calls to Canada. (Ha, good luck with that!) I finally offered him $25 if he would say that his charges were valid and pay his bill. Nope, then he started swearing at me that I was insulting him with charity and that he demanded I credit his calls. After about 5 minutes of him yelling at me everytime I said "I apologize sir but those are valid charges that you knowing racked up and had been educated about on multiple occasions and I am unable to credit you due to that fact" several times until he finally screamed to give him the $25 and he would call back tomorrow and talk to someone who knew what the hell they were doing because he wasted an hour and a half of his weekend talking to me and deserved to get something for that as well. I kinda went borderline sarcasm at that point saying that I would like to point out that he did call us and was able to hang up at anytime he chose. He repeated it again and I told him that I was soooo sorry but he is not getting that $25 because like I informed him earlier I was simply giving him that as a curtesy for his time for me educating him that his bill was valid and he was responcible for paying it. A couple minutes of arguing about that and he finally hung up, and I noted in his account that he is not to be given credit for anything due to him simply calling in repeatedly over charges he knew he was making and then trying any angle he could to keep getting free money.

2) A woman with a new phone was swearing at me that I obviously didn't know my job at all because I didn't immediately know every single little detail about how her phone works off the top of my head (like I freaking designed the damn thing) and not 1 minute later seriously asked me where the power button was on it so that she could turn it on. (Duh, I don't know, the tin cans with string never had a power button) effing bitch didn't even know how to turn on a phone and still had the audacity to call me stupid.

3) A woman needed some security codes for her phone because someone keeps screwing with the settings, she didn't like that I had to look those up (sorry I didn't memorize them in case you called in) and then got pissed when she started asking me how her ex-husband was messing up her phone over the internet. What! Like I have a clue how someone could hack a phone after which a few minutes later she admitted that he was an IT genius, yet expected the first and lowest level of phone support to know exactly how a psycho hacker was screwing with her phone. I still wonder if she wasn't a bit nuts or he was actually that good.

(Afterthoughts)
Y'll may as well start taking bets on how long I will last at this job.

No comments: